NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Review: Well Met

Well Met Well Met by Jen DeLuca
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

“Like the stars, your love should be a constant source of light, and like the earth, a firm foundation from which to grow.” (I forgot who said that but eh..still romantic, and swoonworthy.)

Me: My spirit animal is Simon. Case closed.

Me: He knows so much about ancient english, shakespeare and faires...I'm in love. Someone stop me from loving him hard. God.

Me: Wonder if I can find him in real life? God, that would be so great. A guy who knows something about literature and actually enjoys conversations about that..Oh my heart.

Me to me: Stop with the heart eyes and the gushing, geez, you need to write and I don't want to vomit my lunch. (My less romantic side).

Me to me: God, fine. Party pooper and hater of romances. Fine. Let's go.

So here I am. A conversation with me, myself and...I. Ya. So really, let's go.

The cover - Love it, already makes you anxious for their story and their HEA. Plus the clothes the characters are wearing on the cover are so close to their Renaissance Faire costumes (anyone noticed?)..gah. So cute, adorable and swooooooon...(basically points given in gibberish..)

The summary - Our heroine starts over in a new town to care for her sibling and sort things out until she finds a new place. Meanwhile her niece drags her to a Renaissance faire, with costumes, old witty dialogues and food everywhere, literature spilling from every corner. There she meets Simon, in charge of the Faire and a total grouch or at least until he gets into a costume, mon ami/es. Then rooooar, baby. Can love be declared or is it just an attraction due to costume fetishes?

Only reading this novel can tell. (And yes points are given..)

The plot itself - The writing is quirky, romantic, witty and worth laughing, crying and spilling your heart over, guaranteed. Plus the literature references, the costumes (yes I like dressing up, sue me), the friendly townsfolk, her family, all are so loveable gosh. Definitely points are shared.

The characters - At first Simon and Emily are total opposites, she's the fun, sunshiny girl, meanwhile he's the grouch, the responsible one, the shakespearean nerd (one of my main loves). But the costumes, the witty conversations, the accidental touches and kisses, overcoming problems and still getting their HEA are definitely reasons why you'll love Emily and Simon, I tell you. They are swoonworthy, complete comedians, responsible adults (more in Simon's case), and fun individuals overall. Hard not to love, that I can tell you. (Points heeeeere.)

The romance and the problems -Scorching between the costumes (you'd think I'd say the sheets but nope..), but so very romantic, and tear-jerking (that a word anymore?), my heart, suffice to say, may not recover for a couple, hundred maybe, thousand years perhaps..gosh. (points are thrown left right here, peeps.) The problems weren't too heavy, even with some reluctance on both characters' parts but regardless they were overcome with a grace and solving that wasn't dragged out and united the characters even more.

But my only problem with this novel was (a teeny problem) that the author never manages to show Emily finishing university. She mentions it a few times but that's it. No proper resolve is shown.

Other than that, it's a fantastic novel and must read. You won't be disappointed, guaranteed.

Until the next read,

TMR


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment