NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Review: Educated

Educated Educated by Tara Westover
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The most popular novel of 2019 with highly sought after reviews and yet...here I am.

The unpopular queen of em all.

Gee.

Well, this queen has to start somewhere, so let's go.

The cover -Pretty straightforward (if you can call it that) with the pencil against a white palette, background. Leaves no mystery as to what the novel is about. Interesting enough for me though, I was looking for something straightforward anyway. So points.

The summary - Pretty intriguing in a sense that a girl (a young girl) takes a stand to better herself, to give herself the power of knowledge, she has a hunger for it, a craving, to better understand herself, her family and the world around herself. Truly inspiring. Hats off to the author to be able to face such a childhood and still be sane.

I always respect people who try and better themselves with knowledge, with literature, with words that will perhaps help them understand their surroundings more. So I definitely support this author and the choices she took, to be who she is today.

But then things took a fated turn and not in the direction they were supposed to go in...

Let me explain.

The rest of the story played out like Jurassic world, everyone trying to live for their own survival, no one's getting better, everyone's getting hurt.

Or alien. I think the movie alien fits more.

But my point is, it mostly plays out like some survivalist story and not something of a journey, a path to be better.

So yup, hated this novel and had to DNF. Buddy read with @Pragya. (Sorry I'm not sure if this does mention her) but yeah buddy read with her.

Thanks to @Pragya for putting up with me, and hopefully she gains the points she wanted.

Overall, a terrible novel. Do not recommend.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment