NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Review: Scythe

Scythe Scythe by Neal Shusterman
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

A favorite among my friends here on goodreads and goodreads in general too.

Hence why I tried it out.

But sadly, I couldn't go through with it.

The cover - Was impressive enough with rich red and yellow tones, creating an aura of danger and yet light in a way. Terribly conflicting but still blending so well. Hence the point.

The summary - One child policy (they tried and reduced the population, hence the amount of children was 1 and then came the emperor's/empress's syndrome), where they try and keep the population regulated by cutting off at least one innocent life in the process of "gleaning". A good side is that humanity has conquered every fault it ever faced, such as hunger, poverty, mortality, illness, emotional conflict, war, sufferings.

Not my cup of tea, but still pressed on.

The death of that boy...as gleaning..I couldn't continue. I'm sorry but these elements are really not good for someone who may suffer from emotional, mental problems in general. There should be trigger warnings perhaps.

Hence why the DNF. I'm sorry to all the Neal Shusterman fans, but if he writes a different series, that doesn't read like the backwards version of the handmaid's tale and the combination of the one child policy of China, I'd be happy to read.

But until then, I'm staying as far away as I can from this author and also from the sequels of this trilogy.

Until the next read,

TMR


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment