NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Review: The Unhoneymooners

The Unhoneymooners The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

“And I get it. As much as I hate him . . . I think I’m starting to like us.” (Because Olive, secretly Hate is LOOOVE..so can't deny it..sorry.)

*cartwheels all over the lawn*

Me to me: What in the godforsaken lucifer ridden hell are you doing? Get back here!

Me to me again: I'm having a moment here, excuse me. And you go back in there. Let me be happy. You know I'm having these moments rarely, after all the disappointments I've been reading. SO just chill.

Me to me the third time: I know it's been rare, I have an idea. Share your happiness with your amigos, you know, like how you share kindness? It might make you even more happier. And maybe more clean. *wrinkles nose*

Me to me for the fourth time: Fine, fine. I'm coming. *grins*

That's been my reaction ever since I finished The Unhoneymooners (such a hilarious title honestly, but yeah). I've literally lost words and have since been cartwheeling to let my emotions out that way. But I have apparently convinced myself that I can write a review on this without blubbering and having heart eyes..I think.

SO HERE WE GOOOO..

Right, the cover - Reminds me of a tropical forest, or more closely reminds me of the lush forests in NZ (yet to see here in Melbourne, AUS, considering I live in the city..), which is fascinating and relaxing too, makes me want to travel to Hawaii or NZ and settle there for the rest of my life...But sadly that is not to be, due to student bills and such. Point here is however, that this cover was so heartwarming and chill that I loved it, and gave it some points too, heh.

The summary - Olive (our main female protagonist) has always been well....unlucky in every endeavour she makes, be it love, jobs, family, etc, etc. But her sister, the twin is lucky in everything, especially in scoring a hot beau and an almost free wedding. She consoles herself with the fact that it's only 24 hours worth of wedding hell, even with her sworn enemy, Ethan, (our main male protagonist) as the best man...wowza.

Sounds nightmarish...anywho. Then when everyone gets sick from food poisoning, Ethan and Olive are forced to go in place of their respective siblings so as not to miss the opportunity of a lifetime to go to Hawaii (surprise, surprise, just mentioned it). They're all set for a vacation, unlike me...Sigh.
But then when they meet Olive's boss, the little white lie might just spin a bit out of context and may make them the couple that they are in place of. But maybe Lady Luck is actually supporting them, and perhaps love is in the cards for her?

What a summary. It's so mixed, with bitter and yet sweet moments but still continuing to be one hilariously swooning read in general. I for sure swooned, so definitely this summary is a winner, if not the cover art itself. Hence the points.

The characters - Although Ethan often comes across as a phobia venting male, he's caring, a bit naive (with his brother), but sweet and romantic too. And even if Olive seems stuck up and unapproachable she still manages to convince me that she can be my true bookish friend, being kind, witty, romantic, sweet. Basically, sometimes things change and adapt themselves often for the situation but then become something more as time passes by. It happens...As two swoon worthy characters, I had to give them points for winning my heart. So there ya go, chumps.

The romance - Slow burn, definitely slow burn. Although there's no initial indication about their feelings and attraction, after a 100 or so pages we get what we want...hurray! So it's not a long wait but some waiting is done. But once you cross that line, it's hot heavy nights for the two...mhm, fiery chemistry running in between for sure! Definitely points are given here.

The overcoming of problems - Several problems were shown, not heavy, but real, like family relationships, love, friendship, and being there for someone you love, and being open with someone you care about. In the most satisfactory way possible, all of their problems were solved, and I'm glad the authors did not drag it out a lot. So thankful for the realness and the quick resolve, points are deserved here.

Overall, if you like enemies to lovers, a free vacation, weird but funny families and friends, little white lies, flaws in characters (not bad, honest), and opening your heart up to something new, you'll like this one for sure.

Before I finish, here's a favorite quote from the novel: “Honesty has always seemed to work best for us.” (And so it has, otherwise how else would you be the couple you are now?)

PS: I heard about Twice in a Blue Moon and how bad the book is. But I am curious regardless to read it, so will let y'all know once I have the book in hand.

Until the next read,

TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment