NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Review: The Turn of the Key

The Turn of the Key The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Another popular book which I once again did not like.

*sad horns in the distance*

Yeah, I got it, thanks. Anyway..

Let me explain what happened exactly.

The cover - Not much to look at, the title is so big, literally hid most of the artwork. So yeah, not a good move by the cover maker. Hence why I didn't bother giving it a star.

The summary -A nanny is hired to look after a couple's children in the highlands. It's quite good money, good lodging too, well-behaved children, a happy couple. And the nanny was looking to get out of her old job as she wasn't doing so well with it before.

The only catch with this picture perfect family -the technologically built house. Everything runs on an AI system, programmed by the couple, and is given some access to the nanny too.

Everything seems perfect. But then why is the nanny then later on accused to have murdered a child in the family? And no one wants to take her case either. Will anyone believe her or will she be hung up, simply as she is posed to be a vile murderer?

Intriguing enough summary. Hence why points are given.

But then things go wrong..and no, no one got murdered here in real life, in my house. Just the plot of this book did.

For most of the book, all we see is the main heroine trying to figure out the technological house, and fussing over the fact that she hates her previous job.

NO ONE CARES! MOVE IT.

I certainly don't.

And then, she's seen behaving with the children like an older sibling, rather than a responsible adult. Seriously?

Do people (the couple) not check the interactions between kids and nanny anymore? Do they simply choose to go blind with their kids' safety, as so they don't have to fuss around with their own children, rather someone else can?

I'm awestruck with their behaviour. Literally left speechless.

My parents would have always made sure who the babysitter was and how she behaved. Plus why would you go after an offer that sounds too good to be true?

Are people that money crazy nowadays? I can't even.

So this novel is a complete and utter joke to true mysteries. I'm sorry but it's true.

Hence why the DNF and the one star review. God, what was I thinking reading this?

Oh yeah right, I lost my mind.

Anyway.

Until the next read,

TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment