NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Review: Olive Kitteridge

Olive Kitteridge Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Note: This is a duology. The first one is Olive Kitteridge. The second one is Olive, Again. Read in order, please.

Where do I begin with this novel?

Every goodreads friend recommended it to me, said it was close to real life and sometimes a real life dose is often needed to get back down to earth.

I agreed and then started reading.

And then...

The writing - Was great, I mean not impressive, but good enough to not zone in and out of. Half star.

The cover - Was something that caught my attention, but again nothing extraordinary. Hence again half a star.

The problems:

The characters -Olive seems pissed off most of the time, Henry seems to be that cool, calm mind. Total opposites, and yet both are not even properly matched to one another. Descriptions of every character come into play but with Olive, it's angry, young woman, Olive. Nothing special about her, even though the novel is about her.

The point -I don't know what the point seems to be. Whether the fact that you don't always have a happy life in your 50s or when you look at someone else's life, perhaps you're envious of them? I was so lost with what this author wanted to say, so darn lost.

That's all I can say literally. No good attribute was left, except for the writing and the cover.

So not recommended. And neither do I plan to read the sequel.

PS: There's a tv show too apparently on HBO for this novel. Not watching that either haha, but why are they continuing this house of boredom and depression? I don't get it.

Until the next read,

TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment