NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Review: The Craftsman

The Craftsman The Craftsman by Sharon J. Bolton
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Another well sought after novel.

And once again, I've managed to defy the odds and stand aside to the popular, agreeing opinions.

Let me tell you how.

The cover -A different one to this one. But definitely it had my interest. A coffin with the usual details. And then the words brought something in me.

A devoted father or a merciless killer?

Hmm....

Definitely makes you think. It certainly made me think. Hence why the points.

The summary - A police detective captured the killer that had buried bodies (which were alive) deep underground, 30 years ago. But now she encounters a ghost from her past, a possible belief that the killer is still at large, and goes back wondering to the house she used to once lodge in with the Glassbrooks, and tries to once again solve the case that may change her life forever.

Sounds good? Certainly it does, going back to something that may just endanger your life again, it's a risky move, but in police procedurals like these, I love em. Heh. Hence why the point.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut....

Something goes wrong. As usual.

One - How can you live with a serial killer, lodge with them? Don't you have your own house to go to? Why would you stay with a stranger? I don't care if they are friends, you're still a guest in a way. Dumb mistake 1.

Two- There's some kind of timeline difference. The author never expresses clearly why there's a jump in time difference every two chapters or so. Which makes it beyond confusing and annoying to keep trying and guessing which is which. Dumb mistake 2.

Three- A mention of witch trials? This isn't a book of magic, it's about mystery. Logical, real life, human made, mystery. I don't care if this author was a part of those so-called witch trials, I don't appreciate being mislead like this. Dumb Mistake 3.

All of these mistakes made me DNF. Literally DNF, and even think of burying this novel deeeep in the ground. Just like this novel's mystery.

But obviously, this was a library copy and they would have killed me if I did that. So...

Hence why I returned it more quickly than I should have. One other way to get rid of it I suppose. Safe too.

Anyway, not a recommend in any darned way.

Until the next read,

TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment