NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Review: The Lost Man

The Lost Man The Lost Man by Jane Harper
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Note: This is a completely different novel and is not part of a series like the Aaron Falk ones.

Where do I begin? How can I begin?

I'm having trouble doing so..

But let me see..

I was so excited for this novel, considering I literally had just reviewed The dry before and was in love with it.

But then this...this disaster..god..I can't.

I...I can't. It's like taking an emotional hit after someone died. Here however, the plot died on me real quick, but still hit me hard.

I feel like some other writer wrote this, or the editor proofreaded it wrong..or another possibility was the writer fell asleep at the wheel, and decided to write whatever jumbled mess grew out of her dreams, like the body snatcher, except this is the writer who writes good plot but got muddled because of dreams snatcher...

Just my theory.

But let me explain.

The cover -Again a view of something like the sahara desert, giving off a dusty, sweltering, and yet sandy view, making you feel hot and humid perhaps (if you can sync real deep with the cover vibes..) and if you feel to a certain degree. Regardless it had me going for a water drink every hour or so, it had my attention. Hence why the points.

The summary -
No one's sure how their brother died in a mysterious circle at the border of their cattle properties in sunny Queensland, another city here in Australia. And where their brother is found, is at the foot of the stockman's grave, a place so old, that no one even cares about it's existence. An upturning event, the brothers are dumbfounded about their brother Cameron's death. Was he losing hope and decided enough was enough? But then if he didn't, then who could it be? Not a lot of suspects left.

Seems interesting enough. But then any novel by this author has my attention, so I was excited to pick this one up. Hence again the points.

BUTTTTTTTTT as usual, Fate decides that he's getting bored and decides to dance in the plot, at the most godawful time and ruins everything..

Let me tell you how.

The characters - Become goddamn sherlock holmes like they were born, talented detectives who can figure out this murder on their own. All of them have family dynamics that are horribly screwed and are looked at the most, which gets annoying by a certain point.

I'm here for the mystery, not for the family feud show.

The writing -Is really too slow paced and seems they don't get back to civilization that quickly, like till 70 pages at least. And yes it also borders on annoying.

The mystery itself - I wish I could say more on the aspect itself, but it seems I DNFed early, hence why I could care less about it overall.

Taking all these points in mind, probably this is not one of her best works. But still, I look forward to reading her future novels and the sequel to The Dry.

Until the next read,

-TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment