NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Monday, January 6, 2020

Review: The Weekend

The Weekend The Weekend by Charlotte Wood
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Ah this novel..

It was quite a crowd favorite last year. And like always, I always showed up late to the party, even beyond "said" fashionably late.

But still I was intrigued enough and curious to see why this novel had so much love from people.

So I picked it up from the library as a hot read (Lasts only a week) and started reading it.

But boy was I disappointed.

The cover was intriguing in a way I can't really place. But it was intriguing. Hence the star.

The summary was like a novel version of Grace and Frankie (it's a very intriguing tv show, which is recently going to end, kill me...*crying emojis*) and the golden girls (if you've never watched it, boy you are missing out on some educational shit, and what it means to be an elderly woman having to depend on yourself once you've stopped tending to a family and your kids are out of the picture..go watch it, damn it.)

I was immediately enchanted to read it, because both these shows I love have a novel version -
my dream come true.

But. Then the real disappointment shows up.

This novel is nothing like my imagination. Yes I know there is such a thing as a novel surpassing your expectations, but this one didn't even get on the line or try to cross my expectations.

So much negativity. Gee. So much negativity.

Look I'm not saying that you should always be happy 24/7 and forget your sadness, anger, and other negative feelings. I know it's hard to.

But at the same time, if you're a book character and you're supposed to be promoting what it means to face struggles at an age like 70 and strive to move forward positively, then there should be more positive moments than negative moments.

Instead all they do is moan and groan consistently and constantly about miserable their lives are, how people are dying all the time, and their lives at home are so dull and not the same as before.

I get it. You're not living a perfect stepford wives life. I get it. Geez.

But groaning about it for so long...It will get on my nerves, believe me.

So overall, it's not a recommend. Unless you really hate the shows I mentioned above, or prefer getting depressed over being happy.

Your choice.

Until the next read,

TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment