NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Monday, January 6, 2020

Review: A Curse So Dark and Lonely

A Curse So Dark and Lonely A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Note: This is a Beauty and the Beast retelling. This is also a series, so this is the first book in order. Next is A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Which releases on the 7th, and today is the 6th Of Jan, aaaaah so excited!). So please read in order. Thank you.

This novel. Ruined me. Slayed me. Ended me. Shattered me to no extent.

God I'm so in love with this book.

This series takes an honorary 1st in the series that I love, alongside the Folk of Air Series (believe me, they're a lot similar than you think (especially that last book in the series, QON, what a bloody plot twist..anyone else?)

And yes, this will also be another series, which I might end up crying on because it was so loved by moi. Oh the heartache would be too much..

But so far we haven't reached the end. So hah, no heartache yet.

Realist Me: Yet.

Emotional, dreamy Me: Shut up.

SO yeah. As for the songs that may be of relevance (I'll list a few, promise.) are: I like me better by Lauv, The Way I am by Charlie Puth, Threatened by Michael Jackson, F*ck I'm LOnely by Lauv Ft. Anne-Marie, Losing My Mind by Charlie Puth, Done for Me by CHarlie Puth Ft. Kehlani, Chills by Why Don't We, The Girl is Mine by Michael Jackson Ft. Paul McCartney, I Want To Break Free by Queen, THe Show must go on by QUeen, Dancing With Nobody by Austin Mahone, We are the champions by Queen, Love Me less by MAX ft. Quinn XCI, Time Is Not On Our Side by The Vamps, Dancing By Union J, Don't Test Me by Skylar Steckler, Unstoppable by AJ Mitchell, Firework by Katy Perry.

Uh whoops, long song list, I'm afraid. Heh. I told you, I connect my music to everything.

Anyway..

There are so many wonderful things here in this novel I'd like to mention.

The cover -Bloody magical and thrilling. Reminds you of a forest at night, one you should be wary of. Brilliant.

The summary -Beauty and the beast. Only twists - The prince is not that arrogant, the girl doesn't read, she's from a poor environment, no inanimate talking objects, guards do exist and are loyal, villain is not someone who wants to marry Belle (I mean Harper...whoops), DC (present time, alternate time), technology, Seasons, a creature that is not a beast but far sinister. But what a wonderful story.

Romance -So fairytale like. Except they're willing to explore if they actually feel something. It's not immediate like the movie, beauty and beast. A possible love triangle (but nothing annoying, promise, and it's not really put forth.) LGBT romance (a little bit, but you'll have to find out, it's not discussed entirely..just a brief mention here and there.) Nothing sexual is suggested except for a line or two, mostly it's sweet romance. No exes mentioned from the girl's side, the prince's yes. But what a worthwhile romance, kept me all going through the 400+ pages.

Violence -Yes, but not too much. Graphic descriptions yes.

Plot pacing - Pretty quick. Keeps you going all the way through.

Writing - Flowery (but good flowery) to suit a fantasy romance.

Characters - Strong personalities, reasons for every action and interaction, decision taken.

Cliff hanger - Yes. (Won't talk about it, because it's the next book's plot.)

DO I recommend? Yes I absolutely recommend it, especially if you loved Beauty and the Beast movies.

Negative or otherwise mentions? Yes of a new phone her brother gets, similar to Beauty and The Beast, and similar to A Court of Thorns and Roses as well (Yes I definitely feel there are similarities, so if you like it, this one might be swell.)

Overall - A superb read and look forward to reading more.

Until the next read,

TMR


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment