NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Review: Circe

Circe Circe by Madeline Miller
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Note: The dates are only skewed because of the constant interruptions and other commotions which did not help me read this on time. Hence why.

Let's move on.

..............................

Another popular book of 2019, which I yet again did not like.

This one revolves around a more "feminist" retelling of one of greek mythology's heroines, Circe, and her journey of development into "supposedly" being better.

That above was the intention of this novel.

However my interpretation of this novel was: A slightly changed but still the same play-by-play version of the events that happened in greek mythology, around Circe and in Circe's journey.

Which does not count as a retelling. At all.

Apart from the good and not at all boring writing style, this book was nothing original or even close to being an exciting retelling which would keep me turning pages and wishing for more.

If I wanted to read the original events or retold versions of the events popularly told in greek mythology, I would have read the original plays written by the likes of well-known playwrights such as Sophocles, Euripides, Aeschylus.

Not this.

So Cassie, my buddy reader, originally, you should be glad to have not tried this novel right now.

As for everyone else, I do not recommend it.

Until the next read,

TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment