NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Friday, January 20, 2023

Review: One Day With You

One Day With You One Day With You by Shari Low
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Note: I received an ARC through Boldwood Books and Netgalley for an honest review.

Triggers: cheating, death by skin cancer, dementia, pregnancy difficulties, drunk driving death, menopause, death by car crash.

This was an entirely, depressing, complex and sadly true novel, for people who know someone or have experienced the tragedies, highs and lows in their life, as such the characters do in this novel.

I wish I could say I fell into either category, but I do not, at this time.

We have the story with several plotlines going on - each character is facing a huge decision, or major upturn within 24 hours of their day. Before that, all is going smoothly and as comfortably as life in small towns does.

It was exciting, relatable, perhaps heartwarming to read the story at first, but as time went on, I could only curse the characters, and the impending depression that I ended up dealing with, after having finished the book.

I did get the emotional aspect of the book, the realism as well, but the stupid decisions I did not, and some of the ignorance the characters held about the people they knew.

So as much as I would like to say that the addictive writing and wonderful characters, plus emotionally tinged plotlines got me - they only did for the first half. Rest of the half was spent debating whether I should hurl myself out of this room and into a cave to cry and be frustrated for forever, or throw the book into outer space.

Spoiler alert: none of this happened, but I did lose a lot of sleep, thanks to this sad heap of a novel. So much for the 2 hours and 20 mins I spent on this novel that I am never getting back.

Sigh...I expected a lot from this, but so far I only learnt that no one becomes happy except for one elderly couple in this book. That is it. And that life is only but one sad metaphor of existentialism.

That is all I got. Sigh.

Until the next read,
TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment