NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Monday, November 25, 2019

Review: The Ten Thousand Doors of January

The Ten Thousand Doors of January The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Note: Another popular pick of Goodreads.

Yes again another popular book I chose. But forgive me, I wanted to catch up with my amigos over what they had read, so yeah this was one way to do it.

Anyway...

The cover - It's definitely enchanting and screams magic, fantasy, quirky characters, exaggerated settings, vivid imagination, everything fantastical and not at all conventional. Hehe. Definitely enjoyed the cover, swooned a bit too. So points to that.

The summary -Sounded like Narnia, Harry Potter basically. But still I found it interesting. Young girl finds a book which leads to a magical place, way out of the conventional imagination and belief, but no one believes her. She keeps going back and finds answers to the book, to the place and discovering herself in the process as well. Sounds good doesn't it? I thought too. That's why I gave it points.

But then as always, Fate steps in like some movie villain and ruins everything.

So let me tell you how everything went to shit.

The characters - Well she sounded like every cliched heroine I'd read, but still I was fine reading it. But not a lot of characters show up, it's almost like they were told to only do cameos like some movie script. I can't reflect on the girl's personality much as she's shown young and stupid basically, with a vivid imagination at one point. That's it. Hence why a point removed.

Way too much description of the place and not about the girl and her actions -It's almost like the girl doesn't care much about what's happening to her and her life, rather all she cares about is what she sees, NOT WHAT SHE FEELS. Sigh..annoying as hell. Another point removed.

The ending -Didn't read till the end, so personally, I can't comment on something I never read till.

Overall, a shambles. DO NOT RECOMMEND IT, IN ANY SENSE.

That's all.

Until the next read,

TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment