NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Review: I Owe You One

I Owe You One I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Note: So many firsts for me throughout this week. And I mean, the novel picking.

As I was saying, first Sophie Kinsella novel to pick up! I'd kinda been feeling guilty about never having picked up a sophie kinsella novel before, so when my library was featuring the novel, I was like yess! Finally, I get to join the likes of other bloggers and bookstagrammers alike who knew about sophie kinsella novels more than me.

Hurray for me.

.............

So.

The cover was looking pretty quirky and fun at first glance, so it was appealing to my eye and was one of my motivations to read this novel.

Second was the summary - Fricking awesome, I mean a fix-it girl finding love in the most complicated ways possible, plus with her own quirks -having the constant urge to fix every mistake she saw. Loved the summary overall and couldn't wait to dive in.

The bad points however...

Her family was borderline nuts, specially her siblings. She was a grown woman, yet she was treated like a child. And none of the other siblings are willing to take responsibility for their own actions, especially that sister of hers, Nicole. Sigh, what a self-obsessed mirror of vain. Only her poor mother was her support, her rock, the stable wheel of the family.

And the worst part is, she never stands up to them. She never grows a backbone in all of the 50 pages I read, or DNFed to, anyway.

If I'd wanted to read about cinderella, I would have read the original tale. But I didn't, so why am I getting a cinderella vibe here, specially when I didn't want to read about a weak heroine?

I really don't know.

I can't say anything about the romance either as I had DNFed way too earlier. The growth, is also hard to tell, even though it's a short novel. The moral messages or what gives the book the "kinsella magic" was also missing. It was like it never existed.

A true flop.

Once again, a 2019 favourite, gone down the gutter.

PS: I will still try her other 2019 novel releasing this October, because I don't give up that quickly, specially when everyone loves the author so much.

But for this one, a big thumbs down.

Until the next book,

J.B

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment