NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Review: Daisy Jones and The Six

Daisy Jones and The Six Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Note: When I first got Daisy Jones and the Six, I realised I had a totally different version of it. But it's the same story anyway, so let's continue.

"I had absolutely no interest in being someone's muse. I am not a muse. I am the somebody. End of fucking story." (My favorite quote overall, really.)

Now that's my Daisy. My role model. My everything. (Just kidding...a bit).

At first glance, this novel looked like I should have dropped it. Immediately. I mean it was something written in such a different style and I'd never read anything in that style before, I was worried. But then I realized why not try something new?

And so I did, venturing into the unknown and coming out of the side with a full grin, enough to make my gums hurt and eyes shine in the light.

But that's not my review. The real story starts below.

This was a written transcript of a band documentary. You know? The ones where they show everyone discussing their beginning, the middle and the highlights of the lasting influence on them and others through their career. And it's got everyone involved, the main band members, the managers, the engineers, the spouses and lovers, the enemies, the other bands, the critics.

EVERY PERSON WAS INVOLVED. NO questions asked.

The summary was about how Daisy Jones and the Six joined, how the Six also formed in their own time, the struggles, the joys, the lows and highs and how they powered on until their split in 1979.
The plus point is that the author says it's "loosely" based off Fleetwood Mac and their album 'Rumors.'

I was willing to go with the story of Fleetwood Mac as it made things all the more interesting and for me to be even more compelled to read Daisy Jones.

In the beginning you get to see Daisy's personality without any change, it's pure spoiled brat personality. Nothing to work on, not even interested in moving her feet but a beautiful one regardless. Her friend Simone, a bright and hardworking girl, a mentor to Daisy in some ways, but a friend, a sibling even since they did not have a lot of age difference and in a lot of ways her saviour.

The six were special as well. Billy the control freak, Graham the soft one and shadowed by his older brother. Karen the feminist. Eddy the Slugger "I'm a man, let's do some hard rock" personality.
Warren, "don't care, only care when I have use with my bass" personality. Pete "I don't want soft rock man, I just want the good old hard rock", a personality similar to Eddy.

Most of them were loveable, just not Eddie and Pete. I mean transitioning from hard rock to soft rock is not a lot different, it's all rock regardless. But I can understand that not everyone warms up to a new suggestion.

Learning about them, watching them develop and change into something different from what they were before, and appreciate how a band truly works with often difficult times and good times thrown in the mix.

It was all wonderful. Sure sometimes I felt like pulling my hair with Daisy's recklessness, Billy's control freak moments, Karen's stubbornness and Graham's lovesick puppy dog behavior.

And sometimes I thought that this novel was a bit too focused on Daisy and Billy (even considered giving it an alternate name, but didn't go through with it) but luckily it wasn't too focused on them, as paying more attention to the band itself and the band members' own personal lives.

But overall it was something of a dawning, heartwarming, witty and an unforgettable novel in it's own take. And I'm sorry about not reading it earlier.

A true masterpiece to ever exist. I look forward to reading more of the author's novels in the near future.

Until the next page,

J.B


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment