NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Saturday, June 29, 2019

Review: Defy

Defy Defy by L.J. Shen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Instagram: TheMaskedWritress
Twitter: BondJavelyn
Facebook: A Book Lover's Hideout
Blogger: JavBondWrites
Youtube: JavBond

“In the words of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman: Big mistake. Big. Huge.”

You said it, Melody.

Would you believe I've never actually read or better yet even tried to finish a teacher-student romance novel?

Well I've done the deed.

And it's not the one which Melody did with Jamie.

Moving on.

We start with the main heroine of this novel Melody Greene, her unfortunate day of having to teach at the Hot Heads's school (cannot remember the name of the school at the top of my head right now as I write this) and having to crash straight into another car.

But that's not where the unfortunate event really starts. The unfortunate event starts when she crashes into the school's principal's privileged, cocky jerk, spoiled brat son Jamie's car after having to handle the most crappiest and clingy date's text (who's mom still doesn't let him have a car at 26, that really cracked me up, anyhow).

But the entire book really catches on when Jamie blackmails Melody basically to sleep with him otherwise she would lose her job (I swear that principal was always looking for opportunities to fire the poor gal).

And so this arrangement starts, but not without a few plot twists here and there, and of course an introduction to the other hotheads and their gals.

Soon enough however, the arrangement is public and everything is about to hit the fan and in the most terrible way possible.

What I liked: Well, the romance was super steamy and intriguing to read, literally glued to reading every word, the frustrations of being a teacher was also felt deeply (real life feelings finally being communicated, yay), the plot is super fast (gotta admit, I felt like I was riding an express train through it all), the writing is clear, the messages and feelings are communicated crystal clear and the characters are built in a way which they can be viewed from all angles.

What I disliked: Well to be honest, I am never in favor of these romances no matter how intriguing, enjoyable and fun they are. And especially with the way the teachers behave with students (if you've seen the news lately, you know what I am talking about) makes it seem like it's okay to go outside your boundaries and not act professionally and maturely. Kinda wished Melody had someone to go out her own age and Jamie had more sense to go after girls his age, it's not like people their age have vanished entirely.

As much as I enjoyed this novel, I just could not attach myself to it in a more personal way as my heart was divided on this.

Overall: This novel was a good read but if you want to enjoy and actually love this novel, you have to put aside the morally right and wrong rules and let loose for a story like this.

So hope you guys have a better time than me when reading...

-J.B

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment