NetGalley Reviewer

Professional Reader
10 Book Reviews

Monday, November 25, 2019

Review: Bonnie and Stan

Bonnie and Stan Bonnie and Stan by Anna Stuart
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Note: Not a popular book of 2019, more like a library pick. But eh, continue reading.

God.

Where do I start?

This novel had such promise. I was so excited to start it, I'd cleared every other book I had to read, muted all of my friends, put on good music, and was literally not breathing when I first cracked open the book.

I'd done everything to ensure I was in a happy, excited mood to read this. No anger, slowness, sir!

But then, I already told you about Fate, fiend as he is, screwing up my reading once in a while and making me curse him even more.

That's exactly what happened.

But let me start accordingly.

The cover - Well the cover was cute and I thought a bit sweet too, sweet like my heart melting and never forming solid again. And I really adored it, so points to that.

The summary - I haven't been reading a lot of senior citizens' novels, so this one was a good surprise. At first I thought it would be a sad beginning, literally beginning with his death, so yeah I was definitely hesitant. But then as I read and searched some more for it's actual summary, it had nothing to do with his death or not at the beginning anyway. A couple, with the husband facing some terrible news, which is to do with his life expectancy being much shorter, meanwhile husband tries to find wife a new husband when he passed away, to help her continue living life.

Sweet ain't it? I thought so too. Hence why the points are gifted.

But then everything hit the ground and blew apart my entire interest for this story, like some goddamn hurricane.

Anyway.

The pacing -In general was pretty slow. Yes I know, 40 something pages is not enough to judge, but for me even 20 pages is a good indication whether this novel will actually follow through with it's plot and pacing. So yeah. The pacing in general was pretty slow, to say the least, and left me wondering what went wrong for me to end up at such a conclusion. But in the end, it was slow and I couldn't continue. So yeah hence why I took off one point.

The characters, time flashbacks -The characters are not dull I have to admit, but their dialogues were, for sure, and I was wondering if the author actually knew how to make dialogues exciting without sounding like a teenager but rather still sounding dignified and formal. As for the flashbacks, the 60s were more fun then the present time and rather easier to read rather than the dull, morbid environment set in the present. So another point got removed.

The ending -I can't comment on, as I didn't finish till the end. So no star was given in general, as I have no idea how the novel ended.

Therefore, things could have changed, and made the novel much better. I still feel it has potential to strike hearts, and be emotionally moving, if with a few changes.

So yeah, there you go. Not a total shambles.

Until the next read,

TMR

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment